Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Welcome to the BearHunt blog!

Hello lovely friends!

This is just a little blog for thoughts on art, on "making", on inspiration...and, obviously, on BearHunt!

Last weekend, I was privileged enough to view the Menil collection (menil.org) in downtown Houston - wow, wow, wow! Have you ever experienced a place that makes you feel more like a soul than a body? That's a rare feeling in our world - so often I find my culture (and, more often than I'd like to admit, myself) consumed with notions of image, appearance, and the worth thereof. To walk into a place and feel the "soul" of me begin to overpower the "body" of me is a life-giving experience.

I feel inspired....but still working out how to bridge the gap between inspiration and process in my art.

I found myself particularly inspired by the surrealist and modern wings of the collection. There was one particular surrealist painting that was like a storm of color - purples, blues, pinks, blacks. What appealed to me most was the random sense of beauty. It was so easy - so effortless - so like the beauty we see in nature. And there were several modern pieces that struck me - HUGE, solid panels of color that existed so boldly, so shamelessly, so staunchly. Those translate more readily to my own process - look for rings inspired by them soon!

A few final thoughts:

What is it about museums that make us whisper?
What is it about a ringing cellphone in a theater that seems so unholy?
What is it about art that reminds us we are primarily souls?

No comments:

Post a Comment